Sunday, March 21, 2010

March 20 - Rock of Cashel

On Saturday, we went down to County Tipperary to see the Rock of Cashel. It's almost 2 hours away, so we had a good chance to talk during the drive...

At some point, Daniel made the comment, "The Sioux play in the WCHA championship game tonight." I paused and wondered for a moment before replying, "Do you follow women's hockey??" "WHAT? NO!" he answered, quite taken aback. "Then what does the W stand for?" I asked. Daniel looked at me, shaking his head, "I am ashamed of you, I'm really ashamed of you." I had to laugh at myself; I'm pretty sure each kid has drained a large number of my brain cells! I really should be more informed about the Western Collegiate Hockey Association after almost 9 years of marriage to a Sioux fan...

Anyway...


From the 4th or 5th century, the Rock of Cashel was the seat of the Kings of Munster, whose kingdom extended over much of southern Ireland. In 1101, they handed Cashel over to the Church, and it flourished as a religious center until a siege by Oliver Cromwell's army from England in 1647 culminated in the massacre of its 3,000 inhabitants. As many as 1,500 of the village people had run into the church for protection and were then barricaded inside and burned alive. The cathedral was finally abandoned in the late 18th century. A good portion of the medieval complex, with parts built in the 12th, 13th, and 15th centuries, is still standing. (parts taken from Eyewitness Travel Ireland)




St Patrick's Cross.
The carving depicts St Patrick who visited Cashel in 450. The cross was in the churchyard, but was moved indoors to protect and preserve it.




This area is the Hall of the Vicars' Choral, built in the 15th c for the choir members. It has been refurbished to its original state.


The castle is on the left and part of the Cathedral on the right. The oldest building, Cormac's Chapel, was surrounded in scaffolding for a preservation project.




Inside the south transept of the cathedral.








Carvings on the altar.






We took a walk to the bottom of the hill - not a path intended for strollers.




Daniel took the long walk back to get the car so we wouldn't have to haul the stroller and herd the boys back up the hill. What follows would be better video material, but Daniel had the video camera with him. I'll try to give you an idea of what it went like...


"Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!"

"I'M THE KING OF THE LAAAAAAANE!"
I suggested maybe he change it to king of Ireland...

"I'M THE KING OF IRELAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!"

I guess they came to some peace accord...

Simultaneously, "I'M THE KING OF THE WORRRRRRRRLLD!"

There was no one around, so I didn't stop them from yelling their declarations repeatedly at the tops of their lungs. The last thing Aaron yelled was, "GOOOOOOOOO BISON!"

Twentieth time up the hill...

...and back down.

Grass stains = good times
Hore Abbey, a 13th c Cistercian monestary, near the base of the hill.


Galty Mountains, Counties Limerick and Tipperary.

We saw SIX "Cranky the Cranes" here in Limerick as we drove home!! If you have little boys or are familiar with Thomas the Tank Engine characters, you can imagine the boys' excitement.
If you're not, I'll just say, this made their day!

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures Sarah. Thanks for taking the time to post them. The boys' hill climbing and yelling was most amusing!

    ReplyDelete