Monday, February 22, 2010

February 20 - I spy a fox and some crazy cows!

We went south again into the Burren on Saturday. We had a couple sites in mind, but mainly one goal: figure out whether Dramamine works for Silas' motion-sickness. The drive was definitely bumpy and curvy enough to be a real test!

We'd been driving for just a little while, and the boys were playing 'I spy' spotting lots of grazing farm animals. As we got into the more rocky landscape, the animals became few and far between. Aaron began asking for snacks. Since it hadn't been that long since breakfast, I wanted to hold him off a little longer, so I came up with a deal. "Spot five more animals then you can have a snack," I said. I admit it was a bit of a mean trick. At any rate, he accepted the instruction without arguing which was my hope. Moments later, he announced, "I spy a fox." Yeah right, we thought. He insisted and pointed out the window. Sure enough, off in the distance, a lone fox was running across the rocks. Daniel stopped the car so I could get a picture. I gave Aaron a snack. One wild fox is worth five farm animals, I figured!


The fox.

We drove in and out of fog all day.

Gleninsheen megalithic tomb, estimated to be 2500 years old.
Signpost for Poulnabrone megalithic tomb.
"Megalithic tombs" are large stone tombs built throughout Western Europe during the Neolithic Age. Over ninety megalithic tombs are known to survive in the Burren. Among the earliest of these are the portal tombs, like this one, built around the fourth millenium BC. Archeological excavations in the 1980's revealed 33 people, including infants, children, and adults, buried in the chamber in the mound underneath.
The boys had a lot of fun walking on the uneaven, rocky ground.
Moving along, more fun road!
I got out of the car to take a picture, and these cows started charging at me, mooing their heads off (thankfully, there was a barbed wire fence)! I walked down the hill and they followed me. I walked back up the hill and they followed me back.
They charged at me again yelling MOOOOO! It was both bewildering and hilarious! Maybe they had me confused for somebody they know?
These cows, on the other hand, couldn't have cared less that I was taking a picture of them.
Kilmacduagh monastic settlement, established in the early 7th century. The slightly-leaning round tower was built in the 12th century.












This tree is near the entrance of Coole Park, one of our original destinations. We decided to come back when it's warmer since it looks like a beautiful place to spend all day outdoors.
By the way, Silas made it through the day with no indication of an upset tummy :D

No comments:

Post a Comment